Canon India, the key players in the imaging space expanded their EOS R System with the launch of two new RF lenses – the RF24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM and the RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM. These lenses are part of the essential trinity of focal range for professional photographers – 24-70mm, 16-35mm and 70-200mm. The two new lenses are Canon’s first to have Image Stabilization (IS) in their respective focal ranges and with the constant aperture of f/2.8.
Both lenses cater to a wide variety of photography applications – the RF24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM’s versatile focal length range of 24-70mm makes it apt for shooting weddings, portraiture and products while the ultra-wide zoom range of the RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM makes it handy for landscape photography, weddings as well as for travel photographers. The premium and versatile L-series lenses are suitable for professionals as well as advanced hobbyists.
The RF24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM zoom lenses will be available in India from early October at the price (MRP) of INR 1 82 995.00/incl. of all taxes (each)
|RF24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM||RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM|
|Minimum Focusing Distance||0.21 m (at 24mm),|
0.38 m (at 70mm)
|0.28m (entire focal length)|
|Lens Construction||21 elements in 15 groups||16 elements in 12 groups|
|Special Low Dispersion Glass||Three UD||Two UD|
|Filter Size Diameter||82 mm||82 mm|
|Aperture Blades||9 (circular)||9 (circular)|
|IS (CIPA Standard Correction Effect)||Yes ( Up to 5 stops)||Yes (Up to 5 stops)|
|Maximum Diameter & length||approx. 88.5mm x125.7 mm||approx. 88.5 mm x 126.8 mm|
|Weight||Approx. 900g||Approx. 840g|
- The large-diameter mount and the short back focus allows a large aperture lens to be placed closer to the imaging sensor. This allows the advantage of achieving high image quality due to lesser light bending to achieve low aberrations at the periphery. This greatly aids to edge-to-edge sharpness.
- The arrangement of three glass-moulded aspherical lenses and two UD lenses on RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM and three UD lenses on RF24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM ensure reduced lens aberrations and distortions
- The ASC coating on both lenses also help to suppress flaring and ghosting, which could compromise image quality
- Unique to both RF lenses is the customizable control ring for exposure adjustment; ISO, shutter speed, aperture or exposure compensation. The tactile control ring allows a more precise control
- The tiny yet powerful Nano USM focus drive system allows smooth, fast and quiet focusing
Powerful Image Stabilization
- Both the RF24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM lenses are equipped with up to 5-stop IS (As per CIPA standards), which makes hand-held shooting possible in lower light conditions where slower shutter speed needs to be used
- Combination IS (the in-lens optical IS combined with the in-camera 5-axis electronic IS) enhances the effects of image stabilization even further when recording videos.
Create Beautiful Bokeh with Bright Aperture of f/2.8
- The large and bright aperture enables users to shoot with less subject blurring at faster shutter speeds even in low light conditions, such as when photographing at night or indoors
- With the versatile focal length range, the RF24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM can be used for various applications ranging from night scenes to portraits. For portrait photography, the f/2.8 aperture can create a beautiful bokeh effect, enhanced by the 9-blade circular diaphragm.
- With the RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, users can create images that utilize the ultra-wide perspective of the lens and the blurring of the large f/2.8 aperture, expressing unique views of close subjects
Both lenses feature water and dust resistant construction, so they can still perform in the event of sudden rainfall during outdoor shoots. The fluorine coating on the front and rear elements of both lenses help to easily repel oil and water stains.
So guys are you someone who’s already invested into the Canon EOS R product ecosystem? If yes then would you invest in these new lenses? Do let us know your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below!
Keep visiting for more such awesome posts, internet tips, gadget reviews, and remember we cover,
“Everything under the Sun!”