Uber, the world’s leading on-demand, ride-sharing company, today announced that over 90,000 drivers have benefitted from Uber Care, its innovative driver welfare program, in the first year since the rollout.
Launched in 2018, Uber Care provides easy access to life insurance, family health insurance, micro-loan(s), etc. to thousands of drivers. The top 5 cities where the maximum number of drivers were impacted are Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Pune.
Commenting on Uber Care’s first-year anniversary, Mr Pavan Vaish, Head of Central Operations, Uber India SA, said,
“At Uber, we believe our role doesn’t end at creating opportunities by providing a platform to drivers. We have created a community of millions of drivers, and we continue to engage with them with a view to providing them with more to enrich their lives.”
“Through our driver welfare arm, Uber Care, we have been successful in supporting and empowering thousands of drivers with improved access to life and health insurance, financial support, children’s education, and medical consultations. As we move ahead, we envision further strengthening access and impact of Uber Care, thereby enhancing drivers’ overall well being on and off the road,”
Table of Contents
Uber Care defines holistic welfare around two main categories-
1) Socio-economic benefits
2) Health and wellness
As part of socio-economic initiatives, the program considers education, basic needs, creating opportunities for making money and the social system, among others. Health initiatives include medical check-ups and treatments of drivers and their families.
Here are Uber Care’s first anniversary milestones:
- Till date, micro-loans worth INR 35.6 crore have been facilitated among thousands of drivers across cities.
- Uber has partnered with IOCL (Indian Oil Corporation Limited) and Paytm to offer discounts to the driver on petrol, diesel and CNG at all IOCL Petrol pumps. About INR 38.7 crore fuel credits have been facilitated for thousands of drivers in the past year.
- As part of Uber Kifayat, 34,000 car servicing packages have been facilitated resulting in overall savings worth INR 95 lakhs.
- To touch all aspects of the drivers’ lives, and not just their business, Uber has also partnered with NGOs and experts to make the right to education more accessible to drivers’ children. Till date, the program has helped more than 600 children get admission into schools.
- Uber recently partnered with DocsApp under Uber Care to facilitate free doctor consultations, subsidised prescription medicines, and lab tests for drivers on its platform. Till date, about 92,000 drivers have signed up with DocsApp. With this being a newer service launched under UberCare, it has seen a rapid uptake with approximately 1,000 consultations delivered weekly.
- Uber was the first private sector company to announce a partnership with Ayushman Bharat, the world’s largest government healthcare scheme, to facilitate free healthcare for tens of thousands of drivers.
- Uber (in association with the government) has set up Common Service Centres (CSC’s) at Partner Seva Kendras across India, and CSC’s Village Level Entrepreneurs (VLEs) at these centres help verify eligibility and issue e-cards to drivers for the Ayushman Bharat Scheme. This provides INR 500,000 of healthcare benefits for free secondary, and tertiary treatment to each eligible family per year at government and empanelled private hospitals. Drivers need to pay only INR 30 to obtain an Ayushman Bharat card.
Over the past few years, Uber has launched several initiatives and forged some high profile partnerships to showcase its commitment to drivers. With Uber Care, Uber is committed to shaping up the future of work for this new enterprising workforce of India by creating a sustainable environment through new and innovative engagement and welfare initiatives.
So, guys, do you think that Uber is doing a great job in uplifting the lives of its drivers and partners? Do let us know your thoughts in the comments section below! You can subscribe to our YouTube channels, push notifications as well as our newsletter in order to receive more timely tech updates and more!
Keep visiting for more such awesome posts, internet tips, gadget reviews, and remember we cover,
“Everything under the Sun!”