In yet another industry first, Bharti Airtel (“Airtel”), India’s largest integrated telecommunications company, today launched its voice over Wi-Fi service –‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’.
Enables Airtel smartphone customers to switch seamlessly from LTE to Wi-Fi-based calling when they are inside their homes/offices.
- No extra charge for voice calls made with ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’.
- Currently available in Delhi/NCR. To be rolled out across the country in the coming days.
‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ is designed to enhance voice calling experience for Airtel smartphone customers, especially when they are indoors. With ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’, customers with Wi-Fi at home or office will get excellent signal quality indoors. There will be no extra charge for calls made over ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ and the application consumes minimal data. The service is currently available to Airtel customers in Delhi NCR and will be gradually rolled out across India.
Randeep Sekhon, Chief Technology Officer, Bharti Airtel said,
“As a customer-obsessed brand, we are constantly working on improving customer experience based on their feedback. Seamless indoor coverage has been a key ask from mobile customers but getting permissions for site installations has always been a big challenge for mobile operators, particularly in top metros. ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ is another pioneering technology intervention from Airtel and will go a long way in making the voice calling experience more seamless.”
Table of Contents
How to enable Airtel Wifi Calling?
‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ does not require any app and can be configured on the smartphone by following the steps mentioned below:
- Check smartphone compatibility on airtel.in/wifi-calling
- Upgrade device operating software to the latest version that supports Wi-Fi Calling*
- Go to Settings on your mobile phone and Switch On Wi-Fi Calling
- Keep VoLTE switched on as well for a seamless experience
Currently, the following smartphones support ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’
- Apple: All iPhone series starting 6s and above
- Xiaomi: Redmi K20, Redmi K20 Pro & POCO F1
- Samsung: J6, A10s, On6, M30s
- OnePlus: All models of OnePlus 7 Series
Airtel is working with all leading smartphone brands to roll out compatibility with ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’.
The service is currently compatible with Airtel Xstream Fiber home broadband and will soon be compatible with all broadband services and Wi-Fi hotspots.
For more details, log on to airtel.in/wifi-calling
What do you feel about this move by Airtel? Would it improve our calling woes in India? Do let us know your thoughts in the comments section below! Also, feel free to subscribe to Inspire2rise push notifications and our newsletter in order to receive more timely tech updates like this one!
Keep visiting for more such awesome posts, internet tips, gadget reviews, and remember we cover,
“Everything under the Sun!”