Domain Authority has been talked about a lot. I know that there is already a flood of articles present on this topic regarding “How to increase Domain Authority?”, “Improve domain authority” etc. But we at Inspire2Rise continue to believe that information needs to be presented in a beautiful and understandable form. So, we will share our take on Domain Authority and will explain how and why it works.
Whether it’s about advertising or getting offers for paid posts, domain authority matters a lot. It’s a metric that after Google’s page rank is the most reliable method of judging the importance of a webpage. And as per my understanding, I think domain authority is a better overall indicator of whether a webpage is of good quality or not! So, we bring to you our latest research from I2R Hamster Labs: The Ultimate Guide to Increase Domain Authority.
You may like : Top ten plugins for WordPress : User list
Table of Contents
So, what exactly is Domain Authority?
Like Alexa rank is a metric by Alexa.com, page rank is a ranking metric by Google. Similarly, Domain Authority is a ranking metric by SeoMoz. It is an indicator of how well a website will rank in search engine results i.e. SERPs.
Domain Authority is calculated using a logarithmic scale. This means that a person can easily climb from say a 10 to 20 or 30 score but to go from 60 to 70 or higher would be difficult. The highest value is a perfect 100 which we need not say, only Google and maybe a few others have achieved!
There’s also another metric by Moz known as Page Authority. The difference between both of them is that Page authority is not site-wide. However domain authority is site-wide for all the subdomains and root domains.
You may like : Tips to improve technorati Authority.
How is Domain Authority calculated?
There are many major and minor factors behind Domain authority calculation. It is based on the data from the Mozscape Web index, the number of links from various sources, the amount of content present in search results, and several other factors.
Let’s take a deeper look at the factors involved :
- Age and popularity of the Domain: Simply put, the more the age of the domain name the more reliable it is for getting information online. Up-time and regular updates also play a crucial part in it. Because of the humongous amount of domain names being launched every day, age becomes a crucial factor.
Domain popularity too matters a lot. To be precise, it’s just the comparison of total outbound links to inbound links to your website. Obviously, more inbound links mean that your site is popular.
- SERPS visibility: The more content you have in top search results the more likely you will gain authority. And future posts have a better chance to rank well once you start gaining visibility in SERPS.
- Value backlinks: Backlinks can be made with an obvious strategy of commenting on do-follow blogs. But personally, I never recommend it to my readers, my focus is always on giving them the best, and so content gets naturally shared on high PR forums and blogs. That’s the best way to get backlinks. Let your work speak for you. Do indulge in community building, guest blogging, and commenting on other blogs. But don’t do it to spam your links, do it to create genuine meaningful relationships with your readers and other fellow bloggers.
- Amount of content: More the content published by you which has been indexed, the more the chances of having higher authority. Writing more quality content will give you a better DA. Generally, if you check the first page of search results in Google the average word count is anywhere between 800-2500 words. So what do we learn from this? We learn that to-the-point and accurately described content ranks better than short link-bait posts in the long run.
Write better. Score better.
You may like : Tips to improve Alexa Ranking.
Steps to Increase Domain Authority :
- Choosing a nice domain name+domain age: You can buy old domains from GoDaddy or other domain sellers from their auction portals. And in this way, you will be saved the hassle of making a domain age well with time by working your brains out on it. An easy-to-discover domain name that is short i.e. max 15 characters also helps a lot!
- Building backlinks: Seriously everything that needs to be told about this already has been told 😛
Just focus on diversifying your link portfolio i.e. try to get links from different sources rather than all emanating from one.
Tweeting from a high authority profile also leads to consistent backlink generation.
- Contextual backlinks: This is a relatively new term for many bloggers and SEOs out there but contextual backlinks are to your SEO strategy what water is to plants. Simply put contextual backlinks make sure that Google and other search engines understand what your page is all about. For example, This page of ours talks about domain authority in particular. So in order to be better placed in SERPs as well as in order to be a DA booster this page needs to be linked from several other pages talking about domain authority. This makes the links from those pages relevant and such relevant links are considered an authority even no-follow links from such contextual sources make a positive impact and help in increasing domain authority by a fair margin.
- Writing better: If you consistently churn out 3 or more than three 1000 words+ articles per week with solid on-page SEO, then there’s no stopping you. This is by far the best method for increasing domain authority.
- Strong Inter-linking :
You can use several plugins for this like Nrelate, or YARPP. They help in better linking. Otherwise, you can always manually place links to articles that you think are related to what you are currently writing.
Make sure you link back to your homepage from every page on your website. This makes it receive more link juice and thus increases its relevance. Also, keep in mind that if you want a certain page to have more PA (page authority) then you can give it a site-wide link and wait for the link juice to flow.
- Using proper descriptive anchor text is the key to better interlinking. Also, use breadcrumbs to provide a structure to your site.
Read more about this in detail here: Blogging Tips Guide.
- Social Signals: Google has already scraped the old page rank-only system and has rolled out so many updates in the past decade. This is visible to a great extent when sites with low or no pages rank higher in SERPS for really competitive search queries. This is the age of Shares, re-tweets, and likes. So make sure your content gets noticed more on Social Media.
Make a following of genuine people who love and share your content, rather than bots/zombie people who just sit and don’t even notice. SEO is impacted when older accounts like your post, i.e. a like and share from older (genuine) accounts from Facebook is worth more than 100 likes from new freshly created Facebook accounts.
You need to have a strong social approach in order to boost your domain authority. When working through various social networks do share your posts timely and in a non-spammy manner in order for them to be perceived well by the online community.
Don’t indulge in link-dropping practices as it would only be a matter of time before you will be kicked out of online forums and communities for doing such things. Networks like Pinterest, Tumblr, Reddit, etc. are great places to share your content, timely and regular sharing of new website content on these networks gives an unprecedented and sustained boost to domain authority scores.
Read more about this here: Social Media Guide.
- Technical SEO: Ensure your website is technically sound by optimizing page load speed, implementing proper URL structures, using descriptive alt tags for images, and ensuring mobile responsiveness. A well-optimized website helps search engines crawl and index your content effectively.
- Improve User Experience: Enhance the overall user experience on your website by making it easy to navigate, mobile-friendly, and visually appealing. A positive user experience encourages visitors to stay longer, reducing bounce rates and signaling to search engines that your website is valuable.
- Monitor and Analyze: Regularly monitor your domain authority using tools like Moz’s Link Explorer or Ahrefs. Analyze your backlink profile, identify low-quality or toxic links, and disavow them if necessary. Continuously track your progress and make adjustments to your strategy as needed.
You may like : Ultimate guide to W3 Total cache settings.
Tools for checking current Domain Authority :
The easiest method to check domain authority is by using the official MozBar which is available for both Chrome and Firefox.
It can also be checked at Open Site explorer.org. You can also use the tool at Moonsy.com for more analysis.
You are reading : The Ultimate guide to increase Domain Authority.
DA update schedules :
Domain authority is updated every two weeks or so. Unlike Google’s page rank, it doesn’t take too long to track your progress using DA. Google page rank is dead now, so DA and PA scores are the only reliable methods remaining to gauge a domain’s influence and overall progress. For sure PR was a nice metric but it didn’t count a lot of factors like social significance and other stuff.
Remember, improving domain authority is a long-term process that requires consistent effort and dedication. By implementing these strategies and focusing on providing value to your users, you can gradually increase your website’s domain authority over time.
So, did you like The Ultimate Guide to Increasing Domain Authority? Have any doubts, or queries regarding the article? Don’t hesitate to comment.
After all, it’s free!
Tags: DA, Blogging, authority, SEO.